Thought Moab, Utah was a spring and summer destination? Think again! This outdoors mecca offers a variety of activities year-round, including in December. While it’s a quieter time compared to the peak tourist season, there are still plenty of things to do.
Here are 10 Local Suggestions of What To Do in Moab, Utah in December
- Arches National Park:
- Explore the iconic red rock formations, including Delicate Arch and Balanced Rock. The winter weather can be cool, but the park is less crowded, providing a more serene experience.
- Canyonlands National Park:
- Visit the Island in the Sky district for stunning views of the canyons and mesas. The Mesa Arch is a popular spot for photography.
- Dead Horse Point State Park:
- Enjoy breathtaking views of the Colorado River and the surrounding canyons. The overlooks are easily accessible, making it a great spot for a short visit.
- Mountain Biking:
- Moab is renowned for its mountain biking trails. While some higher-elevation trails may be closed due to snow, lower-elevation trails like the Bar M and Klonzo systems are often still accessible in December.
- Many trails in the Moab area are open year-round. Check the weather conditions and opt for lower-elevation trails, such as the Grandstaff Canyon Trail or the Fisher Towers.
- Scenic Drives:
- Take a scenic drive along the Colorado River on Highway 128 or explore the La Sal Mountain Loop for picturesque views of snow-capped peaks.
- With the winter light and potentially snow-covered landscapes, Moab can be a photographer’s paradise. Capture the red rocks contrasting with white snow for unique shots.
- Rock Art Sites:
- Visit petroglyph panels like those at the Moab Rim or Courthouse Wash for a glimpse into the area’s rich Native American history.
- Guided Tours:
- Consider a guided tour for activities like 4×4 off-road adventures, river rafting (if available), or even stargazing tours in the clear desert night skies.
- Downtown Moab:
- Explore the charming downtown area. While some businesses may have reduced hours in the winter (be sure to check Yelp, Google Business or the business’ website), you can still find local shops, galleries, and restaurants to enjoy!
Remember to check weather conditions before heading out and prepare for cooler temperatures, especially in the evenings. Some activities may be weather-dependent, so it’s always a good idea to call ahead or check online for any closures or restrictions.
Where Stay in Moab, Utah
Staying at Portal RV resort in Moab, Utah, offers a unique opportunity to immerse yourself in the breathtaking natural beauty of the surrounding red rock landscapes while enjoying the convenience of well-equipped facilities. With close proximity to renowned attractions like Arches National Park and Canyonlands National Park, Portal RV Resort is a premium and comfortable base for exploring Moab’s legendary landmarks.
Beyond the jaw dropping landscapes, Portal RV Resort boasts amenities such as full hookups, Wi-Fi, and recreational spaces! Portal Resort also offers cush rental vacation cabins in Moab, Utah – for those looking for the comforts of a home away from home!
View our rates and book your Moab vacation today!